- In a food processor, pulse walnuts and mushrooms until the texture resembles ground beef.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, peppers and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, until vegetables soften.
- Add the walnut/mushroom mixture to skillet, stirring to combine. Cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine ketchup, tomato paste, chili powder and mustard. Add mixture to skillet, stirring to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon sloppy joe mixture onto toasted slider or potato buns. Garnish as desired. Serve immediately.
Always practice safe food handling procedures
- Wash hands with soap and water before handling any food and after handling raw meat, poultry, seafood or eggs.
- Gently rub produce under cold running water. Scrub firm produce with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Wash all surfaces that come in contact with raw meat, poultry, seafood and eggs to avoid cross contamination.