- In a large sauté pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over low heat and add 1 cup of the almonds, along with the onion, garlic, and oregano. Season with salt and cook 5-8 minutes or until the garlic and onions soften.
- Stir in the chickpeas, curry powder, and cayenne and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes over medium heat until the chickpeas heat through and break apart easily when pressed with a spoon.
- Place the mixture in the bowl of a food processor. Add the tahini paste, lemon juice, lemon zest, and the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and process until smooth. Add 3/4 cup of water and purée, adding a few additional tablespoons at a time until you reach your desired consistency. Taste for seasoning. Transfer to a bowl and top with remaining almonds.
Always practice safe food handling procedures
- Wash hands with soap and water before handling any food and after handling raw meat, poultry, seafood or eggs.
- Gently rub produce under cold running water. Scrub firm produce with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Wash all surfaces that come in contact with raw meat, poultry, seafood and eggs to avoid cross contamination.