- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2-inch deep hotel pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Whisk milk, eggs, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Beat in the melted butter. Add cubed bread and almonds to the custard. Toss to thoroughly coat the bread and let sit for 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight. Gently stir in 3 cups of blueberries. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Cover pan with parchment paper that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and then seal the top with aluminum foil. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove foil and parchment and bake for an additional 15 minutes to allow the top to brown. Remove from oven. Allow to cool then refrigerate until service.
- To make the sauce before service, combine the remaining 4 cups of blueberries, 2 cups sugar, 1 1/3 cups water and 1 tsp. cinnamon in heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat until berries burst, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining 4 cups berries. Cook until sauce thickens (about 8 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature. (Makes 8 cups sauce.)
Always practice safe food handling procedures
- Wash hands with soap and water before handling any food and after handling raw meat, poultry, seafood or eggs.
- Gently rub produce under cold running water. Scrub firm produce with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Wash all surfaces that come in contact with raw meat, poultry, seafood and eggs to avoid cross contamination.