- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat bottom and sides of 2 9-inch spring form pan with butter and flour or non-stick cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, melt 12 ounces chocolate and butter together; cool to lukewarm.
- Pulse the chilled almonds and 1/4 cup sugar in processor until almonds are finely ground, stir in flour.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the egg yolks and ½ cup sugar on medium-high speed until they are thick and light. Fold in chocolate mixture and almonds mixture then add vanilla extract.
- In a clean mixer bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed and visible beater tracks can be seen in the egg whites. Add remaining 3/4 sugar and continue beating to firm peaks. Fold into chocolate mixture in 3 batches. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake until cake has puffed up and cracked with toothpick inserted into center coming out with some moist crumbs, about 45 minutes. Invert onto serving platter; set aside.
Always practice safe food handling procedures
- Wash hands with soap and water before handling any food and after handling raw meat, poultry, seafood or eggs.
- Gently rub produce under cold running water. Scrub firm produce with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Wash all surfaces that come in contact with raw meat, poultry, seafood and eggs to avoid cross contamination.
- Whip 1 cup heavy cream with confectioners’ sugar until medium peaks are formed. Melt 2 oz. chocolate with 2 tbsp. heavy cream.
- Spread whipped cream onto top of chocolate cake, drizzle with melted chocolate mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup sliced almonds.